Rizal Avenue, before LRT. near Blumentritt. (the centre poles were remains from the electric tram days.) ie “Manila Electric Railway And Light Company” = MERALCO. Taken on Kodachrome on 1 Apl 1980.
In 1903 Charles M. Swift of Detroit granted a franchise to operate an electric street railway.
With capital raised in the US & Europe and equipment obtained from the same sources, Swift organised the Manila Electric Railway and light Company, became known as MERALCO.
The company bought out two Spanish firms:
Campania de los Tranvia de Filipinas which operated a small horse drawn street railway system and a steam tramway, and La Electricista, a small electric lighting company, Meralaco’s tranvias.
In 1919 affiliate of Manila Suburban Railways Company amalgamated to a single new corporation called Manila Electric Company.